[haiku] Re: Getting started

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 02:24:14 +0000

Now I'm in NetBSD-current (6.99.44), X won't start but I have Internet
connection.  There is no working cut-and-paste by mouse as I have in FreeBSD.
So I can't update References or quote for context in a reasonable way.

Advantage of Rod Smith's gdisk is that it's general-purpose rather than
OS-specific.  Rod Smith's gdisk can be built for Linux, FreeBSD and MS-Windows
as far as I know, but it can't format a partition.  I can create a Haiku BFS
partition as type eb00.  It really needs to run where the drive being
partitioned has no mounted partitions.

I have FreeBSD version on Kingston Data Traveler USB 3.0.  System Rescue CD
(sysresccd.org) inckudes Linux version of gdisk as well as gparted.

To boot a Haiku partition with grub, I assume you use grub2 and chainloader on
partition to be booted, for instance
insmod chain
chainloader (hd1,gpt15)+1
boot

or whatever is the actual partition number.

Or maybe, first,
set root=(hd1,gpt15) in my example?

Tom