[haiku] Re: Getting started

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:58:59 -0700

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 08:05:32PM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Now I'd like to know how to partition a hard drive for Haiku, sharing
> with other OSes (FreeBSD and Linux, but not OpenBSD or NetBSD.  Would
> I need a Haiku swap partition, could I simply change the partition
> type from NetBSD-swap to Haiku-swap?  Or does Haiku use another way?

There's no Haiku swap partition.  Haiku sits snugly in a single
partition.  The swap area is a (large!) file in /var (actually
/boot/system/var).  You can change its size if you should ever need to
with the 'VirtualMemory' Preference app.  (The main thing to remember is
to make your partion big enough to hold it as well as everything else!
My swap is ~4GB.)

So you can add a partition your drive to take Haiku with any
partitioning method that's convenient.  If you're running Linux, you
might want to start with gparted.  Of course that won't format the
partition for BFS, so you'll need to use Haiku's DriveSetup at some
point.  The easiest way is probably to do the whole thing from a Haiku
USB stick.  Boot the stick, and run the Installer from the apps menu.
It will give you the choice of running DriveSetup to set up your
partitions.  If you've already made space with gparted, all you'll need
to do is format the desired partition to BFS.  Otherwise, DriveSetup can
be used to create the partion too.

(My Laptop is Ubuntu/Haiku dual boot, with three Haiku partitions
currently.  It boots with grub.)

        -- Pete --