[openbeos] Re: Get login details while booting.

  • From: Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, glasselevator-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Open BeOS <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 18:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

Psychology and Biology are more important for User Interfaces than Technology.

If the OS takes 10 seconds to boot fully, but the login screen is up in 5
seconds then the user will feel it is a 5 second boot.
From their first impression the user will perceive the OS as fast. If the user
feels the OS is fast and responsive then they're more likely to enjoy it; and
more likely to prefer using it.

It's why BeOS is Pervasively Multithreaded, why it was designed for Multi-CPU,
why it has no Busy Cursor. Users/consumers respond to emotion not reason.

I know that ripping video to DivX is CPU bound; and the implications of that on
a single CPU machine. But I was still annoyed when Zeta was unresponsive when I
wanted to stop the ripping. (Which by the way should not have required me to
start again).

The Zeta 1.21 boot CD took a minute to boot on some machines, much slower than
Knoppix, it felt annoying and it was a negative when I thought about buying it.
I know enough about BeOS and computers to know why it was slow; but it didn't
change my impression.

Apple understands _Humans_. Which is why their products are generally better,
because their *designed* to be.
Remember Apple is the one to measure against not Microsoft and definately not
Linux.

Haiku has to feel _better_ than it's competitors.

BTW. LinuxFormat May 2007 had another Haiku Image on its cover DVD.

Haiku OS - Free, Open, and Fantastic: http://haiku-os.org/

      Switch to Yahoo!7 Mail: Transfer all your contacts and emails from
Hotmail and other providers to Yahoo!7 Mail.
http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/trueswitch_info.html