[openbeos] Get login details while booting.

  • From: Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: glasselevator-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Open BeOS <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:43:52 -0700 (PDT)

When I boot my PC, I enter the system password, choose the OS, wait for it to
boot then login.

Why am I waiting for it to bring up the media subsystem before I can type my
login?
Why interrupt the user with a pointless wait when they could fill that time
doing something useful.

While the OS is booting it has a graphical display and a keyboard driver; to
show status and listen for safe mode key. So it's feasable.

It takes a few seconds to type in the login & the password. In that time it
should be able to bring up the boot fs and the network stack to do the
authetication.

Currently you have to wait for everything including the identifying server.

Display a login box and password box on the boot screen above the progress
animation.

Haiku OS - Free, Open, and Fantastic: http://haiku-os.org/