[openbeos] Re: Geeky T-Shirt Day

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 0:11:38 +0000

> From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Jonas Sundström wrote:
> > I personally find 'http://' a horrible eye-sore, whereas 'www'
> > doesn't bother me at all. If you use 'www', 'http://' is implied,
> > (in a marketing, human communication context),
> > and can be omitted. People know "www".
>
> people know google.com, yahoo.com, livejournal.com without the
> unnecessary "www" prefix.
> "www" is an eyesore to me.

This has just cropped up on the commit list too, as Waldemar changed the
AboutHaiku window to drop the www too.

I definitely prefer www.haiku-os.org. The www balances out the org nicely,
keeping a bit of symmetry. Without the http, people still know it's a website.
"http://"; definitely looks like a geekier start to the URL, which we should try
and avoid.

a less well-known TLD. I'm not convinced normal people would instantly
recognise "haiku-os.org" as a web address. The www. at the front really helps.

Whenever web addresses are quoted in broadcast media people never say "H T T P
colon forward-slash forward-slash" for obvious reasons. "W W W dot" or even
"all the Ws dot" is much more common.

Waldemar's reasoning for his change is that www.haiku-os.org redirects to
haiku-os.org (note how I've naturally skipped the http:// too!) - fair enough,
but to me it is the website redirection that needs fixing and not the
AboutHaiku window.

Simon