[openbeos] Re: GUI Submission & Dirt

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 09:53:23 EST (-0500)

Andrew Gildehaus <agildehaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Sun, 3 Mar 2002 03:41:01
 -0600:
>> The lighting on the buttons gives them a tweaked, warped
>> sort-of look.  Makes other objects in the window look
>> crooked to my eye.
>
> Hrm.  I admit I'm not thrilled with the amount of gradient on
> the buttons (it will be reduced), but are you speaking of the
> lines that give the button a 3D feel?

The gradient kind of makes the buttons look a bit more realistic,
a bit like they have a smudge of dirt on them.  That's one of the
things which made the first Star Wars film a nice ground breaker,
the use of dirt on spacecraft hulls to give them a realistic look.
I suppose that rather than a gradient, it would be possible to
have code generated dirt textures.  Certainly, it would be
distinctive and set the GUI apart from all others!  Probably an
idea better saved for a theme.

- Alex