[openbeos] Re: GUI Submission

  • From: "John Gabriele" <jandl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 04:06:16 EST

Sweet! :)

>Q: Where's the zoom button?!!?
>A: [snip], but I've
>rarely (if ever) used it.

Same here.

>Q: Drop shadows?
>A: Yeah, call me a sucker for them.  I realize translucent drop shadows for
>the windows probably won't be possible for R1.

Really nice though. Didn't think I'd like them so much. Subtlety rules. The
drop shadows on the tabs (like in the Network Prefs window) are especially
cool.

>Q: On the DriveSpace Deskbar plugin there are two circular buttons.  What do
>they do?
>A: They show the status of the drive.  Red means the drive is the boot
>drive, green means the drive is mounted, grey would mean the drive is
>unmounted.  Clicking the button will mount/unmount the drive.

Huh? I'd think red means not mounted (stop! you can't access that drive)
and green means boot drive (when you boot, this one *goes*). They don't
look like they're meant to be pressed -- more like indicator lights.

>Q: Resizing windows ... how?
>A: Windows would be resizable by -all- of their borders.

Ewww.... I frequently use the borders to move windows around if the title
bar is off the screen. Personal preference I guess.

>Have fun pulling my work apart.  Look at the widgets, the windows, the
>Deskbar .. that's what the screenshot is all about.  Deskbar Plugins and the
>like were just for fun.
>
>Andrew

The lighting on the buttons gives them a tweaked, warped sort-of look. Makes
other objects in the window look crooked to my eye.

The inactive window title tabs seem too dark and stands out a lot from the rest
of the window.

The partition names sitting on the desktop in those black boxes seem a little
clumsy.

Nice to see you sticking with the standard checkboxes and window borders. (Those
aqua "non- window borders" make me lose track of what's a window border and
what's
just some simple line inside a window.)

Thanks for all the great work! Fun stuff. :) Your work reminds me a little of
Java's
metal L&F which always seemed very cool to me.

[homer] mmmm... Java metal theme... [/homer]

---j