[openbeos] GUI Submission

  • From: "Andrew Gildehaus" <agildehaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 01:42:57 -0600

Hello OBOS programmers et al:

I'm strolling over from the Creative team because I believe some of my GUI
work is at a point where it needs some serious discussion by the people who
actually might be putting some of my ideas to code.  The idea was to replace
the widgets and enhance the rest.  My goal was not to create something new,
but to update something we all know and love.

Please take a look at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~agildehaus/obos/concept-v1-wallpaper.jpg (277KB)
http://home.earthlink.net/~agildehaus/obos/concept-v1-nowallpaper.jpg
(188KB)

And after you've looked, read below:

(FAQ)

Q: Looks good, but we can't use the icons!
A: You provide me with icons, I'll put them on this screenshot.  The
copyright notice may be incorrect (should read Palm I suppose), but I didn't
want to place their name on my work :)

Q: Where's the zoom button?!!?
A: It has gone to that big place for buttons in the sky, at least for now.
I have found that many applications don't take into account the location of
the Deskbar when they are zoomed (and with an Always on Top option, the
Deskbar covers a portion of the zoomed application as well).  If you all
think the zoom button should be there I'll be happy to put it back, but I've
rarely if ever used it.

Q: Drop shadows?
A: Yeah, call me a sucker for them.  I realize translucent drop shadows for
the windows probably won't be possible for R1.

Q: Why is "Network Prefs" depressed on the Deskbar?  It's not the active
application.
A: Just showing what it would look like if one of those buttons was clicked,
that is all.

Q: On the DriveSpace Deskbar plugin there are two circular buttons.  What do
they do?
A: They show the status of the drive.  Red means the drive is the boot
drive, green means the drive is mounted, grey would mean the drive is
unmounted.  Clicking the button will mount/unmount the drive.

Q: I don't like this new file view in the Tracker.
A: I think it's interesting.  It wouldn't be the only view or the default
view, of course.

Q: Resizing windows ... how?
A: Windows would be resizable by -all- of their borders.

Q: In what timezone is the time 50:38?
A: Err ...

Have fun pulling my work apart.  Look at the widgets, the windows, the
Deskbar .. that's what the screenshot is all about.  Deskbar Plugins and the
like were just for fun.

Andrew