[haiku] Re: GSoC: Writing native interfaces for ported applications

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:13:32 +0200

On 04/14/2010 02:30 PM, David McPaul wrote:
[...]
> The VideoMixer will not care how the bitmaps are produced, it will
> just merge streams together and output at the framerate of the primary
> stream.
>
> I expect the DVD subtitle tracks would be similar and just like
> MediaPlayer recognises multiple audio tracks and allows selection
> between them it will need to also handle multiple subtitle tracks and
> allow selection.

DVD subtitles are actual bitmaps ready to be rendered (ie. there is no
built-in font in your DVD player).

> Yes text subtitles would be rendered as bitmaps.  Bitmap subtitles
> might actually be tricker as it would be seen as a seperate video
> track.

I don't see a difference there as long as you always render bitmaps,
anyway. In both cases I would assume they are published as additional
video tracks that just need to be marked as subtitles somehow.

Bye,
   Axel.