[haiku] Re: GSoC: Writing native interfaces for ported applications

  • From: Christopher Humphries <redeye4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:48:55 +0200

> This is an area we need to talk about.  I am currently working on a
> video mixing node (combines multiple video sources into one) with the
> aim of handling subtitles and overlays.
>
> I was also intending to write a timed text decoder.

Sorry for the late answer, moving apartments took a bit of time.

Subtitle decoding will be a tricky subject. I would prefer not to send
redundant video frames, and just send one for each set of subtitles, and for
DVD's these frames would be bitmaps.
The format provides a bitmap with start time and duration, and I thought it
would be possible to send regular video frames with a long latency, or would
it be better to implement a new kind of "bitmap track"?

It might even be foreseeable to fuse both text and bitmap based subtitles at
one point, as I imagine that text based subtitles would have to be provided
as bitmap at one stage.

After further thought, menu overlays would need a lot more flexibility...
Do you have any ideas about mouse interaction with overlays?

Anyway, I'm just thinking aloud...

Cheers,
Christopher