[haiku] Re: GSoC: Writing native interfaces for ported applications

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 15:25:19 +0100

Matt Madia wrote:
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 09:54, Christopher Humphries <redeye4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've posted my proposal for working on Media Player, and was just wondering
if some of my ideas are too much, or if I'm missing something really vital.

The Tracker Add-ons section is a bit misplaced I think. Updating Tracker to support things such as thumbnails is not an easy task, and I believe is one of the things waiting for a Tracker rewrite. Was somebody working on this? I've got a vague memory of that being mentioned somewhere. Anyhow once the Tracker functionality is in place I think it's more the job of the Media Kit rather than the Media Player to provide for thumbnails.

QuickView - I think the BeOS/Haiku approach would just be to have media player start quickly enough that there's no need for a "quickview" of any sort.

Current track - could be exposed quickly via app scripting I guess.

Adding streaming and DVD support to the media kit (plus menu navigation etc in media player) sounds to me like the most useful bit. With streaming support you could also add HTML 5 video in WebPositive. Doing that cleanly in the media kit without breaking binary compatibility might be tricky though.

Simon

(just avoiding work, I'm not actually going to have anything to do with the GSOC decision, or have ever worked on the MediaKit/MediaPlayer, so don't put too much weight on these thoughts!)