[haiku] Re: GSoC: Writing native interfaces for ported applications

  • From: Christopher Humphries <redeye4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:56:39 +0100

I would rather work on native applications in general.

When thinking of ports under Haiku, my first objective would be to just get
the software working, but it's often all about porting the dependencies.
Efficiency is hard to achieve, and you wish you could just use the native
kits and avoid a copious amount of work.

I think therefore that applications with a graphical interface should use
the Interface Kit, any media player should use the Media Kit, and so on.

That said, I'm not sure of how simplistic this point of view is. I have no
clear idea about how to add DVD playing support to Media Player, or how to
implement media streaming (Media Kit? Network Kit?).

Another thought was about native functionalities ports would miss out on,
replicants for example. I'm pretty sure that replicants for the media player
and transmission would be useful and even welcome in some cases.