[haiku] Re: [GSoC] WebPositive and the WebKit Port

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:02:32 +0100

On 2010-03-24 at 10:44:39 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > wrote:
> > > In my personal opinion because we are already employing Stephan to
> > > work on this project we may not want to put GSoC resources into it.
> > > In
> > > general there are plenty of people who can and will work on this
> > > even
> > > when Stephan has moved on to other things.
> > Ah. Since it was listed on the ideas page, I thought it was still a
> > part of GSoC. What does Stephan think about this?
> >
> > I'm interested in Web+ as a project because I want to work on
> > something I use regularly.
> [...]
>
> Which is always a good idea; personally, I think that Web+ has enough
> of room left to fill a GSoC with.
> Things like:
> * add-on interface, best a compatible one to some existing
> * search add-ons (also compatible with what there is in other browsers
> (open search or whatever the name))
> * insert another layer between the BWebView and WebCore that allows the
> latter to run in a dedicated process per page. That would also allow to
> move Web+ into our repository, and build it there (as the GCC2 BWebView
> would not link, but only communicate with the GCC4 WebCore process).
> * Network cache
> * persistent forms/passwords
> * more convenience functions
> * more settings
> * ...

But I have just been hired for another 160 hours. (Thanks!) If a GSoC
project was to be submitted regardless, it would either have to be quite
vague, or we would have to do careful planning what I would be working on
and what would be left for the GSoC project. I am not a big fan of the
latter option. First because I tend to work on whatever annoys me most, or
what I find fascinating at the time. And second because I am hired
specifically to get done as much as possible and bring the browser forward
as best as I can. When I leave out important stuff for a GSoC project,
there is a chance that it will not be completed, which is kind of against
the idea behind hiring me. A big part of that is the trust that I get
things done. That's of course not to raise distrust into Ankur's abilities,
especially since he has worked on a project successfully before, but I am
voicing this concern anyway, since I think it's a valid consideration in
this situation, especially once more people besides Ankur show interest in
a WebKit project. Which is to be expected judging from past GSoCs.

Best regards,
-Stephan