[haiku] Re: [GSoC] WebPositive and the WebKit Port

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:44:39 +0100

Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > In my personal opinion because we are already employing Stephan to
> > work on this project we may not want to put GSoC resources into it.
> > In
> > general there are plenty of people who can and will work on this
> > even
> > when Stephan has moved on to other things.
> Ah. Since it was listed on the ideas page, I thought it was still a
> part of GSoC. What does Stephan think about this?
>
> I'm interested in Web+ as a project because I want to work on
> something I use regularly.
[...]

Which is always a good idea; personally, I think that Web+ has enough
of room left to fill a GSoC with.
Things like:
* add-on interface, best a compatible one to some existing
* search add-ons (also compatible with what there is in other browsers
(open search or whatever the name))
* insert another layer between the BWebView and WebCore that allows the
latter to run in a dedicated process per page. That would also allow to
move Web+ into our repository, and build it there (as the GCC2 BWebView
would not link, but only communicate with the GCC4 WebCore process).
* Network cache
* persistent forms/passwords
* more convenience functions
* more settings