[haiku] Re: [GSoC] WebPositive and the WebKit Port

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:51:25 +0100

On 2010-03-23 at 09:09:49 [+0100], Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I'd love to work on WebPositive and the Haiku WebKit port as a GSoC
> project. Problem is, the Web+ bug tracker lists just six bugs at the
> moment, so I really don't know where to begin. The ideas page is also
> quite vague. Should I start by implementing a small feature?

If you followed my blog posts, I have made a lot of comments about what is
still missing. It won't work that I tell you what to do. Just run the
browser, find something that annoys you or that you miss, and coordinate
with me about what you are going to work on. The motivation needs to come
from within you, when you find something you want to work on. I am much
better at answering specific questions about how something could be done
then to try to come up with something that you could work on.

> I've already checked out and built the code. I'm running into a
> problem where the browser would launch just fine, but not load any
> pages. The nightlies, OTOH, work great. What could I be doing wrong?

Have you created a debug or release build? As far as I am aware, the debug
builds hang at startup, because the icon database thread is doing some
assertions (I presume) that run into incompatibilities with our pthread
implementation. Just follow the instructions about creating a release build.

Best regards,
-Stephan