[haiku] Re: GSoC Web Services Kit OS integration

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 00:09:25 -0400

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM, Tom Fairfield
<antirush.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been thinking this over and doing some reading.  I guess the basic idea
> is that the user can choose "Use Twitter as communication when possible" and
> then any app that makes use of the Web Services Kit (in a generic sense,
> obviously an app could also specifically use Facebook, for example) would
> use Twitter as a means of communication.

I'm not sure it needs to be quite this generic. My vision might be
that a Web Services Kit just makes it easier to make use of web
services, in the same way the other kits make interfaces, MIDI or
media easier to deal with. So if someone just wants to write a native
Haiku Twitter client (which has certainly been in my mind), then they
can just make use of the Twitter add-on in the Web Services Kit that
wraps the Twitter REST API. The Web Services Kit provides the
framework (HTTP(S), dealing with authentication, REST, JSON parsing,
etc), add-ons build on top of that for particular web services, and
then applications can use the add-ons.

The Media Kit and also the IM Kit (http://www.bebits.com/app/3914)
might be worth looking at in relation to this project and the design
of the Kit.

> I'm sure, however, that there are much more useful applications
> for something like this.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

Well I have an idea that I have been thinking about for a while: on
Haiku we have People files to represent contacts. I use Gmail and have
a lot of contacts there. It would be nice to keep them in sync. Google
has a contacts API (http://code.google.com/apis/contacts/), and a Web
Services Kit add-on that connected to this API would make it trivial
to write a People<->Google Contacts syncing application.

Regards,
Ryan