[openbeos] Re: GSoC: Sub-pixel antialiasing for font rendering

  • From: Fredrik Ekdahl <fekdahl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 11:29:11 +0200

Stephan Assmus skrev:
Fredrik Ekdahl wrote:
Andrej Spielmann skrev:
On 6.4.2008, at 10:29, Fredrik Ekdahl wrote:
So to sum it up, it would be optimal to have settings for each attached screen for:

 * Enable subpixel rendering for
   - Nothing
   - Normal text rendering (using Freetype subpixel rendering)
   - All vector rendering (using Freetype + AGG subpixel rendering)
 * Subpixel order
   - RGB
   - BGR
   - etc.

/Fredrik Ekdahl

Yes, I have thought about this. That's more or less what I mean by "proper integration of the new technology within Haiku" in the ninth week of the coding period :-) However, I don't think there's support for more screens in Haiku right now, is there?
My understanding is that Haiku is "prepared" for more screens, whatever that means. Implementing this with multi-monitor in mind at least makes it one less barrier to overcome when implementing actual multi-monitor support. All IMO of course.

As long as the feature can be configured at all, it will be no problem to use it accordingly from higher levels of the code (app_server). The DrawingMode implementation is already "pluggable" ie runtime dynamic. I think it is well possible to accomplish what you say.

Great! Just wanted to express my "concerns".

/Fredrik Ekdahl