[haiku] Re: [GSoC] Python Bindings for the Haiku API

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 01:04:40 +0530

Hi Ryan,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 3:11 AM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But fortunately I have been in contact with a student, Akshay Gupta,
> who is interested in making a Haiku Ruby binding in much the same way
> you are interested in doing this Python binding. In fact he has been
> looking also at Niels' work and I suspect there is some amount of
> overlap and these projects should probably collaborate to some extent.

Actually, Akshay is an old friend of mine. I'm sure we can collaborate
and come up with something both the bindings can use.

> In regards to the declarative UI idea, I think it is great, and the
> general idea of declarative code and Domain Specific Languages (DSLs)
> is very big in the Ruby community. Though my first choice for a
> declarative UI language would not be XML, at least not for Ruby.
> Though I suppose there is something to be said for borrowing some
> concepts from XUL or XAML.

Perhaps we could settle on a common format and then all bindings could
use it. What could we use besides XML, though? JSON? S-expressions?
Perhaps we could take the Cocoa route and compile the XML to a binary
format. That might be a tiny bit faster but, IMO, introduces some
complexity.

--
Ankur Sethi
(GeneralMaximus on IRC and elsewhere)