[openbeos] Re: GSoC ICMP implementation

  • From: "Alvarez, Alan SPC MIL USA FORSCOM" <alan.alvarez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 00:44:57 +0300

Hello,

> Hi Alan,
>
> Salvatore Benedetto wrote:
> > first of all welcome, and nice to hear you are interested in Haiku.
>
> Seconded! Great to hear from the first student! Welcome!
>
> > On 22/03/2008, Alvarez, Alan SPC MIL USA FORSCOM
> > <alan.alvarez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > >     My name is Alan Alvarez and I am planning to apply for the
> > >     "Implement ICMP error handling and propagation" GSoC project.
> > >
> > >  I've been reading the network stack code for the past couple
> of hours
> > >  and already have a basic understanding of it. I just started
> reading
> > >  the rfc listed on the tickets associated with the project
> idea and it
> > >  seems like I shouldn't have too much trouble implementing this.
> >
> > Actually, if I recall correctly, another student last year tried
> > accomplish the same task and had many problems. The main problem
> if I'm
> > not mistaken was to accomplish this task in a object oriented
> way. But
> > this student mentor might give you better info.
>
> AFAIK, the basic problem was that he didn't have the time he
> thought he
> would have.

This is what I thought too after reading something about it on the haiku
website blog. The task doesn't seem too hard at a first glance, though I'm sure
I'll find some obstacles in the process.

> > >  I have a questions about the implementation for the error
> report
> > >  mechanism:
> > >
> > >  - For reporting errors wouldn't it be ideal to use the
> > >  net_protocols::error function that already exists? I'm not
> sure if the
> > >  arguments that exist will be enough, I'd appreciate any ideas.
> > >   For replying to errors the ip, tcp and udp modules could use
> the
> > >   icmp_protocol's error_reply when actually needed too.
>
> IIRC, these functions were introduced exactly for this purpose.
> Axel will
> probably tell you more.

This makes sense and I thought this was the case too, but since the idea topics
says to "implement an error handling and propagation I though maybe that wasn't
necessarily its main purpose.
Is Axel in this list? or should I direct my questions to the development list?

Also, I have one more question, What is the best way to output messages
(somewhere) for debugging purposes so that I can verify something I implement
is actually working? I've seen a macro DTRACE being used around the code but
I'm not sure where exactly this is to be output(d). Should I enable debugging
somewhere?
From what I can tell the built-in kernel debugger stops the system so this
wouldn't help much since all I need is to see some simple debug messages.

Thank you for the warm welcome :).