[haiku] GSoC 2011: Bluetooth Support

  • From: Ambuj Varshney <blogambuj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:27:25 +0530

Hi,

I am a senior undergraduate at a university in India, I have been one of the
very early uses of BeOS, I used it back in 2000 when they released R5, it
took me almost two days to download over slow 28 Kilobits line, consequently
I am very interested in contributing to Haiku.

Primarily, I have been working on in the university on Wireless Sensor
Network and I have spent a considerable amount of time working at MAC layer
of Wireless Sensor Network and Device level issues, additionally, I have
taken at undergraduate level courses on Sensor Network,Operating System,
Computer Networks, Advanced Computer Networks, Embedded Systems and Digital
Signal Processing.

I have already downloaded and compiled Haiku on my system, and I have
started going through the code of Haiku, specifically I am thinking of
exploring Low Power Bluetooth as in sensor networks power is usually a very
important design criteria, and consequently, it should help me here. I have
downloaded Bluetooth specification v4.0 and I have started going through it,
trying to understand different pieces.

I am also learning the architecture of BeOS and programming environment.

I am looking for as part of GSoC working on improving the Bluetooth support
in Haiku, I believe it is not implemented, the reason for this inference was
-

- In the ideas page it is listed, lists this as 2.X specification
- Bluetooth mailing list has not been active for close to an year now.

I would like to know :
(a) Is this a good project to be pursued as part of GSoC ?
(b) What is the present status of Bluetooth in Haiku ?
(c) and How should I proceed ? any specific issue I should worry about ?

Thanks,
Ambuj Varshney
Senior Undergraduate
DA-IICT, India.