[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009

  • From: Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:36:56 +0000

Ari Haviv wrote:
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Michael Phipps
<michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The patent is # 6883087 and is very interesting. <snip>

I wonder if it was implemented in the Palm "Web OS"... <snip>
Sadly, wrong branch of Palm. The BeOS code belonged to Palmsource after the "divisional split", and therefore now ACCESS. Interestingly, ACCESS also have a "new Palm alike OS" that will supposedly ship this year, but the Palm WebOS is nothing to do with this OS. I remember hearing that Palm was starting their own OS and that they'd not be using the Palmsource/ACCESS LINUX based Palm "next generation" OS (which, supposedly emulated the old 68000 stack to allow old apps to run.) At the time I though "bad move...!", but now I retract that statement. WebOS "looks" nice and the ACCESS stuff is still vapourware. If Palm can get app developers to write apps, they might have a chance.