[haiku] Re: GSoC 2009

  • From: Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 15:10:55 +0000

Stephan Aßmus wrote:
It sounds like there would be some additional pitfalls involved when installing new software.
Exactly. I think I did mention that already. It was not possible without a lot of hassle. I spoke to a few BeIA engineers who said as much. This is why some of the BeIA disk images from actual development devices aren't crushed, because they could be more easily updated by the developers working on the hardware. At the time, most devices needed to fit both a working system, have space for document, caches etc and also have a recovery partition on a 16MB flash disk! The fact they fit a fairly complete BeIA system including Tracker and Deskbar is pretty amazing really.
Second, I believe that if someone started to code on this right now and had something working great in 3 months, by that time it wouldn't matter anymore even on the few types of devices that it matters on right now... would it?
For me, it was an interesting aside - I mentioned in passing with the discussion of CFS. I wasn't implying it was something that needed consideration - but it would be a cool little side project if anyone was to undertake it. :-)