[haiku] Re: [GSOC2014] Haiku as a stand-alone UEFI app

  • From: Louis Feuvrier <manny@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:14:22 +0100

> 2. Being severely limited due to size restrictions (< 900 bytes), the
> stage 1 boot loader is just clever enough to locate and load Haiku's
> stage 2 boot loader (haiku_loader) from the same partition.

This is the platform-dependent part, and it is located in system/boot/platform,
I believe?

> 3. The stage 2 boot loader loads the kernel and required kernel modules
> and starts the kernel.

And this is in the system/boot/loader folder, if I am not mistaken?

> So I see two reasonable approaches for UEFI:
>
> 1. Let the firmware directly load the stage 2 boot loader.
>
> 2. Let the firmware load a stage 1 boot loader that loads the stage 2
> boot loader.

You are making a very interesting point. I now understand that shaping the
Haiku kernel directly into an UEFI application might be too big of an
enterprise. However, it seems to me that your first solution is a perfect
middle ground, in-between the original re-write of the BIOS part and the
correct use of the UEFI firmware.

Where do you think such changes should take place in the source tree? I am
having a hard time visualizing how to have both the legacy BIOS booted
platforms and the new UEFI booted machines cohexist, both regarding
installation or upgrade and the source tree itself.

> CU, Ingo

Thank you for your quick answer, I now understand way better how the Haiku OS
actually boots! My proposal is evolving slowly but surely, and the work ahead
seems more clear now.

--
Louis 'manny' Feuvrier
LSE - EPITA 2016