[haiku] Re: [GSOC2014] Haiku as a stand-alone UEFI app

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:20:26 +0100

> As stated by tqh, problems arise when upgrading the kernel. In fact,
> considering the kernel would be stored in the UEFI partition (a simple
> fat-formated partition,) a solution could be to mount this partition on the
> /boot/efi folder or any other (as linux does currently.)

Funny thing is, that after you and I talked there was a discussion
about grub, and it seems it understands BFS filesystem now. However
the kernel is inside a package file I think, so it would need to know
how to get to and load the kernel.

It could be a good alternative and would work as a GSoC. It would be
outside my area of expertise though. I think we would want to work on
our own loader as well, especially if we want to add secure boot later
on.

But one option doesn't really exclude the other.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH