[haiku] Re: GP

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:08:46 +0200

Am 25.08.2010 19:31, schrieb pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 03:38:47PM +0200, François Revol wrote:
Le 25 août 2010 à 15:30, hudsonco1@xxxxxxx a écrit :

Hi Axel,

If there was money available, would you be interested in doing the port of GOBE
Productive? If yes, when would you be available?

I think he already has a lot of work to do...

Plus there is currently an OpenOffice.org port just started, and I'm sure
Abiword would like a Haiku maintainer if you volounteer :^)

And who knows, maybe a GP port will show up anyway some day, says a little bird
:-)

Personally, I'd *much* prefer having Gobe than either of the others! (:-))

I haven't worked much with GP, I played around a bit when it was first released for BeOS. Later I've looked at it again after I wrote some sophisticated documents, and helped some other people with formatting problems and stubborn software in their sophisticated documents. I can't say I found that GP would address these problems well. In a modern office software, I would hope that it addresses common problems, i.e. includes a database of reference literature, an image database, style handling, auto-generated parts, and powerful layouting. GP didn't seem to offer sophisticated features in any of these areas, or lacked them completely. There is a concept of text-styles, but it seemed nowhere sophisticated enough. I didn't think it would be useful for creating bigger documents. That being said, I am not a fan of OpenOffice either. Particularily the layouting of images sucks big time. And the need to manually update parts of auto-generated items.

Best regards,
-Stephan