[haiku] Re: From OpenBeOS to Haiku

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 02:10:18 +0000

DarkWyrm wrote:
Colin Günther wrote:
I'd like to get some infos about the time when Haiku's name was "born". Are there any Discussions about project name suggestions? Was there a vote about the name to choose? What happened to the content of www.openbeos.org? Besides wikipedia there is little stuff about Haiku's history.

Appreciate your help
I'll pass along what I remember. The contest to decide the name started off with people submitting ideas. Michael Phipps -- and some of the other developers IIRC -- decided on the top 5 names and then the community voted on the top 3 names they liked best. According to Michael, the name Haiku was mostly not the top pick, but in people's top 3, so it became the name.

We had our first convention in Columbus and it was named WalterCon because it was where the name was going to be announced and they needed a name for the convention until the announcement.

It almost got called `Walter`.

Rob