[haiku] Re: Friendly reminder about time zone change effects

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:10:39 +0200

Hi,

On 2009-10-05 at 11:51:14 [+0200], David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/10/5 Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > PS.  I've been porting my iPhone OpenGL projects to Haiku.  If I get 7
> > frames per second in VESA and software rendering (MESA), can I expect a
> > slightly better frame rate with a native 2D driver? Obviously, when we
> > eventually get HW accelerated 3D drivers the frame rate will be even
> > higher.
>
> Depends, the main improvement with codecs of using a native driver is if
> it supports YUV.  This saves a YUV2RGB conversion stage.

It depends on how you do it, but you could also save a copy operation. But
then you have to write to the frame buffer in a very efficient way.

> What format is the rendering done in?

The Radeon driver actually offered B_RGB32 overlays.

But unless you switch to utilizing overlays in some form, the BBitmap
blitting should be exactly the same speed in VESA versus a native driver.
If you modify your app_server to turn on acceleration, it saves one copy
operation, so it will be faster if the screen is in 32 bpp, but of course
then everything will flicker like in the old days.

Best regards,
-Stephan