[haiku] Re: FreeType patents are expired

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 14:36:46 +0100

Hi,

On 01.12.2011 10:23, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
I'm wondering why subpixel hinting is not enabled by default in Haiku.
If i'm reading it correctly[1], the algorithm used by FreeType for that
purpose is not patented, and all other FreeType-related patents are
expired, so why would Haiku be more afraid than Debian or any other
Linux distro?

[1] http://www.freetype.org/patents.html

I am afraid you misunderstood what patents the above refers to. The bytecode hinting patents have expired, and AFAIA aware, we subsequently enabled the bytecode hinter in our releases. However, the subpixel filtering is an entirely different matter. Different patents.

Best regards,
-Stephan