[haiku] Re: FreeType patents are expired

  • From: Jerry Babione <jerry.babione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 06:42:29 -0600

2011/12/1 Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering why subpixel hinting is not enabled by default in Haiku. If
> i'm reading it correctly[1], the algorithm used by FreeType for that
> purpose is not patented, and all other FreeType-related patents are
> expired, so why would Haiku be more afraid than Debian or any other Linux
> distro?
>
> Rimas
>
> [1]
> http://www.freetype.org/**patents.html<http://www.freetype.org/patents.html>

Rimas,

I'm sure that there are reasons we can't even think of to use the Free-Type
algorithms. I can think of several not too.  For me, as a developer, I
would prefer for the techniques, algorithms, and everything else be fresh
and new.  I realize we are a re-implementation at Haiku.  There is also
much that is new.  The point is, when others come at Haiku with
any infringement type questions; I would wish that there be NO validity in
the claims.  I know what a tall order that is.  So do you.

--
Jerry Babione
Founder-Just Plain Folks Org. Inc.