[openbeos] Re: Fortran for BeOS ? Was: Multiprocessing,Mutithreading- Linux vs Openbeos

  • From: "Paul \"Bo\" Peaslee" <h2oman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:48:50 -0500

kevin.lawton@xxxxxx wrote:
> BeShare web site. Anyway if there is reasonable interest in deploying
> Fortran under OpenBeOS I'd be happy to take it on board once the
> system can be booted from hard disk. The question is: 'Is there any
> interest in Fortran' - or thesedays does the general inclination lie

I couldn't agree with you more, Kevin. I'd like to see Fortran on OBOS, too. Fortran could benefit from a decent operating environment. While I haven't written any Fortran code for a few years, a lot of what I did write was interactive and would have benefited from a fast graphical environment like OBOS.

A decent batch processor would get past Michael's observation that a lot of Fortran code runs out of a batch queue. And in my mind, any good operating system must have a batch processor (Yeah I know it's a GE topic and it won't be in R1... Couldn't agree more). The processor I'm working on now is about 200 times faster than those Prime and DEC computers I developed Fortran code on.... and they ran multiple batch queues while supporting 50-100 users. OBOS running on the right gear could do it at least ten times better.

I'm looking forward to running Fortran code on OBOS.

Bo