[openbeos] Re: For R1 or R2: /home on separate partition?

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:23:39 -0600 (CST)

> >> So you are against the idea of starting by having a R5 equivalent?
> >
> >No no, don't get me wrong, I just wanted to consider alternatives
> > that
> >won't take more time to implement than the original behaviour.
>
> Personally I believe a Pref_Server of some kind, along with a decent
> XML-Format for storing an Applications
> settings should not be that hard to implement (although it might
> underestimate the XML-Part here). Including one in
> the initial release and having the Preference Apps replacements used
> when approiate, while staying compatible to
> the old way of storing (if possible) should not be huge task.
>
> >Some kind of "Forward thinking", but perhaps it takes to much time
> >discuss the viable alternatives, so just do it later :-)
>
> Well, whoever wants to write a simple Pref_Server and define that
> Settings-DTD, sure why not. If it is going to be
> included in R1 or not, we`ll see.
> As I personally like that idea, I propose whoever is interested in
> actual doing something, mails me off-list, and we`ll
> discuss further proceedings. I just don´t want another "We definetly
> need this almost-unrelated-feature fast"-
> Thread emerge.

WHY a server? For what possible reason does a server improve on a
simple library?
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

"The difference between a misfortune and a calamity?  If Gladstone fell
into the Thames, it would be a misfortune.  But if someone dragged him
out again, it would be a calamity."
                -- Benjamin Disraeli