[openbeos] For R1 or R2: /home on separate partition?

  • From: "Anton du Toit" <adutoit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 01:04:57 +1100

Just an idea - would it be possible to put /home on a separate
partition? So Partition 1 is OS only, and Partition 2 is user data only.
Then if something goes horribly wrong and you have to do an
initialise-and-reinstall, you don't have to worry about all your own
data.

Additionally, would it be possible to have an automatically updating
copy (is 'mirror' the right word?) of the /boot/apps directory on this
second partition? (Again, to make reinstalls faster and easier.)

I'm not sure if this is possible for R1, as it is meant to be like BeOS
R5, but I thought it worth posting this here rather than in GE because
there will likely be frequent updates to R1, leading to the possibility
of Bad Things happening when some Joe User like me is installing an
updated version of an OS component. Plus, I suppose, if you do have two
partitions it is probably best to set things up this way from the very
start (??).

Anton

This message was sent with the demo version of Postmaster, a BeOS mail client.
For more information, please visit http://kennyc.com/postmaster