[openbeos] Followup: OpenBeOS in competition with BeOS

  • From: "Michael Wulff Nielsen" <naish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:19:16 +0200

Hi everybody

I have been listening to Helmar and other people
discussing the future of BeOS.

Apparently Helmar is going to try to revive
an OS oriented Be inc in the form of a palm
backed company.

Well, after being screwed over by large companies
enough times I have only one comment: Forget it,
if I am ever to write code in my spare time then it
will be for an open operating system which noone can
ever take away from me.

People on this list discuss various interesting points
about licenses from Palm, binary compatability and kernels.
All this is well and good, but sometimes I must remind myself
why I fell in love with BeOS in the first place:

It made computing FUN again.

This is why I am here today, eager to get hacking on a new
version of BeOS. But I will never ever put my future OS in the
hands of a company again.

What I am going to do is this:

1. Read all the documentation on PC hw that I can find.
2. Figure out how to talk to a gfx card.
3. Hack some preliminary graphics into the NewOS kernel.
4. Crash my computer about 100.000 times.
5. Aim at being source level compatible with BeOS
6. Have fun..

And if my hacking never amounts to anything, well thats life.
I just hack i my spare time because I love it, not because I
have to make money with it.

I just want my computer to be fun again, and this time in way
so that noone can take it from me.

If some of the people on this list feels the same way, then let's
hack together and have fun.

Okay, I'll stop now. And if you find me incoherent, stupid or naive,
please flame me personally and not the list.. No point in bothering
others with ranting..

Off for now to newos.sourceforge.net

Michael Wulff Nielsen.

Thus spake the master programmer: Let the managers be few and the
programmers many, then all will be productive