[openbeos] Re: Firefox on Haiku

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:34:59 -0700

On 4/11/07, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've recently been able to get Haiku running on another machine...
>
> I've seen screenshots of firefox running on a Haiku build, but so far
> I've been unsuccessful in getting either the R5 or BONE builds from
> the
> latest BeBits.
>
> Can anyone clue me in on how to make this work?

I recall getting some version to start (but later lockup) in november
or so...
since then each I tried (including that version) didn't work.
2.x doesn't load at all IIRC.

François.

Here's what I usually do:

1. copy clean R5 (net_server) firefox directory to Haiku disk/image (i
usually dump it in /boot/apps/firefox) - Last version I used successfully
was 2.0.0.2, but 2.0.0.3 should work as well I would think.

2. copy completely EMPTY and fresh profile to
/boot/home/config/settings/Mozilla (i created a fresh profile on my R5 box
and then copied it to the image) (thanks to Begasus for pointing this out to
me - it wouldn't work until I did this)

3. (not sure if this is needed) set up the environment variables in the boot
environment according to the instructions provided by the Bezilla team -
see: http://bebits.com/app/3143

4. Launch firefox-bin once - note that it dies - launch again and it works
after a LONG time loading. (i do these from a commandline - ignore the
runtime_loader warnings)

I build my vmware images with firefox pre-installed along with a blank
profile now - and can probably provide a test image if someone needs to see
how it's set up.

There are some issues - mouse input is funky - works for a few seconds after
resizing the window, otherwise you're stuck with keyboard commands (alt-d to
select the address in the address bar).

It also crashes for me after a short time - usually after stopping and
refreshing pages that don't finish loading for some reason. After a few
crashes, sometimes the profile gets "corrupt" preventing firefox from

- Urias