[haiku] Re: Finding names of partitions?

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 06:11:55 +0000

> On 07/07/2014 04:04 AM, Jessica Hamilton wrote:
> > I would hazard a guess that Haiku is asking for the name from the
> > FAT32 driver, given that it recognized the filesystem for those two
> > partitions, and that the name at the file system level is not set.

> Exactly. The top-most layer is responsible for the naming.

> > Perhaps it should be a bit smarter and fall back to the name at the
> > partition level.

> We could let the file system just fail to report a name, and then manage it in
> the VFS. This would also allow to consolidate the naming scheme in this case.

> In this particular case, it would need to be a lot smarter, though, because
> the FAT volume obviously has a name (IIRC "no_name" does not come from our
> file system implementation, at least).

> Bye,
>  Axel.

GPT seems better than MBR for partition labels.

GPT labels should be independent of file system.

GPT labels are useful in /etc/fstab to get around fstab tyranny where, because
of multiple disks, partition number designations might not come out right.

NetBSD-current can identify such a partition as NAME=nb7usbamd64-1 (or
whatever).

FreeBSD could access this partition as /dev/gpt/nb7amd64-1

This is a whole lot better than traditional BSD disklabels, where the various
BSDs can't read each other's disklabels.

Tom