[openbeos] Re: Filesystems, Namespaces and Data

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 21:45:50 -0500

Yeah. What Daniel said.
Seriously, Matthew (Matt?) - I have a bad taste in my mouth about
hierarchical (SP?) file systems, too. Why does (say) my mom have to know
that her scanned image is in /boot/home/scannedImages/family?
Accessing as a database, esp with attributes makes all kinds of sense.

And, really, if you look at most of the files in a file system, most people have
no real interest in accessing them. All of the apps, device drivers, etc are not
documents. Some sort of differentiation between documents and apps in
such a way that I can browse my documents by project, date of modification,
etc easily would be ideal. Esp if it hid filesystems, disks, etc.

But, as Daniel said, that is beyond the scope of OBOS.
NOW - what I propose is this.
Why don't you build something that works like what you are looking for?
Make it run under R5. Certainly, if you have the source, it *WILL* work under
OBOS. It doesn't have to be PART OF OBOS to be cool or interesting.
Then, when it is done, show it off. We can evaluate it at that point. T

The neat thing about the BeOS architecture is that it is so modular.
I can build a screensaver without jumping through a lot of hoops. It even runs
at the same time as Be's. When I am 100% happy with it, I can dump Be's
and just run mine. Likewise, anyone can write a new server. R6, for example,
was to contain a Crypto Kit. In the next newsletter, I design and build a whole
kit (a small one). It took me less than 3 hours to build the client, server and
C++
api for it. I have often thought that many of the cool things that people want
build could be done, but it is hard to grasp, after submitting to the tyranny
of the
MS Hegemony, that the OS is easy to add to. BeOS makes it easy to build new
servers, clients and kits. Then, if we (the community) decided to incorporate
the
code, it would already exist, work and would require just a little back fit.