[openbeos] Re: File system

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 15:32:39 +0000

> >      On that note, what precisely can be improved upon from the
> > current BeFS.
> > From my understanding, XFS and ReiserFS are "faster".
>
> Sure they are faster. They're also optimized for speed with small files
> *AND* do not have all cool features BFS does. Specifically, they do not
> have a Operating System that makes extensive use of attributes (in the
> case of ReiserFS it does not even support that right now) and none of
> them implement filesystem indexes.

Indexed attributes are *so* cool. Kind of Nobel prize stuff in my opinion.
It's the kind of optimisation that database manufacturers rely on.

Regarding speed: Isn't this one of the cases of software optimising versus
hardware improvements? why bother squeezing a few % in software when
hardware might multiply performance? Just add more RAM.

My 3 year-old IBM IDE drive was one of the pick of the bunch at the time
but never fast enuff for raw video. I get dropped frames whatever operating
system I'm on so I know that if I want to do video work I'll have to buy a
new disk. But if I really was doing video work I would not want to have
cludgy workarounds on file size limits or whatever. Having to defrag my
disk in order to get a speed improvement costs more time than it saves.

Charlie