[openbeos] Re: File format support in Haiku

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej575@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:18:59 -0600

Basically, a translator does exactly what you described in your original
email.  ;)

Your example of gif is also the perfect example of a translator.  A third
party (was it Daniel Switkin?) originally wrote the gif translator.  BeOS
cannot read gif out of the box... but you add the gif translator (available
on BeBits), and all your applications (browser, image processing apps,
office apps, etc) can now read and write gif format.  You can do this with
about any data type you wish, including office formats.

To answer 3a - yes, it can handle word processor files.
3b - addons would convert, translators allow apps to read/write that
format.  So you could use an office app and access a doc format
via translator, load it into memory, and then "Save As" via another
translator to write it into OpenDoc format.

I wish we had an online BeOS Bible we could reference you to a page to
read.  ;)  I recently talked with PeachPit press, and they have no interest
in publishing an electronic version of the book.  :(

Deej

On 4/3/07, Ar18@xxxxxxxxxxx <Ar18@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

BTW, I am looking at future Haiku (as noted in the Working Groups doc) and
not R1 development... if that explains where I'm coming from.

From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>