[openbeos] File System Documentation Sources

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 13:11:31 EST

Mathew Hounsell <mat.geek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Thu, 8 Nov 2001 01:07:09
-0800 (PST):
> I had intended to demonstrate an example of this in action. I sent a
> message to BeDevTalk asking for advice about implementing servers. I
> searched desperately for the information on Be's VFS. I could only
> find the source code for DOS FS. Most of the dataspace work should
> be handled in a server, Kernel support was necessary for the demands
> of file systems etc. I will look at the newsletter for an example of
> a server. If any one knows of the documentation on the BeVFS it
> would be essential.

Besides the DOS FS, there's also a CD-ROM file system example that
comes with the developer part of BeOS, if you installed it, its at:
/boot/optional/sample-code/add-ons/iso9660

On BeBits you can get code from:
AtheOS FS http://www.bebits.com/app/2028
There used to be a copy of NTFS too, but the site seems to be down.

Then the developer library
http://www.be.com/developers/dev_lib/index.html
has some articles on file systems, the most relevant being:
http://www-classic.be.com/aboutbe/benewsletter/volume_III/Issue20.html#Insight
and other articles tangentially related (device drivers,
programming in kernel mode, etc).

There's also the very good Practical File System Design book,
http://www.mkp.com/books_catalog/catalog.asp?ISBN=1-55860-497-9

And finally, there's my ongoing documentation of the file system API,
condensed from all those sources and my continuing experiences
with trying to write a RAM file system:
http://home.achilles.net/~agmsmith/beos/FileSystemAPINotes20011018.zip

- Alex