[openbeos] Fat muesli-induced troll - Was: Locale Kit

  • From: Helmar Rudolph <helmar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:48:25 +0200

/me trolls for a moment while munching his fruit muesli....

Kevin wrote:

> Consider why America speaks a form of English, as opposed
> to one of the native American Indian tribal dialects or
> even Norse (as there were Viking settlers in the US
> centuries before Columbus arrived).

IIRC it was only one (1) vote that decided on English as the
main language for the USA and not German. That was more than
200 years ago, and they haven't recovered since! Shows you
what kind of implications a simple mistake like that can
have on humankind.

English is chockfull with idiosyncracies that don't make
sense to anyone; even words where only the first letter is
different are pronounced differently. It's "pear" [pâr] but
"fear" [fîr]. Duh! At least the Latin languages have accents,
so even the average Anglosaxon lowlife can see right away
how the stuff is pronounced. Impossible with english.
It's ex'ecutive but 'execute. Oh Herr, schmeiss Hirn vom
Himmel! ;-P

Although I wholeheartedly agree that English is 'the'
language of international commerce and the Net, it's also
part of the world's downfall, because it's just this that
gives the Yanks and Brits this totally undeserved air of
superiority which they use to (usually) colonize and
imperialise those parts of the world that are way deeper
steeped in culture and history then them. IOW, using English
as the "main" language is just as good as us using MS
Windows. Any further questions?

What now? Let's all speak Afrikaans! Dead simple, nothing
ambigious. 35+ million natives down here can speak it, and
if THEY can, there's even hope for the language-impaired
Yank or Brit to learn/understand it. ;)) Methinks that
before they expect others to speak their language, maybe
they should learn it themselves first. This would definately
have it's advantages! (*) ROTFLMAO!

I'll now don my flamesuit - just in case - and promise to
write in German next time. LOL

Have a peaceful festive season.

Helmar

(*) misspelled on purpose to illustrate the point, just in
case it you wondered.

--
He says,
"Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words

Gandhi