[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 01:02:25 +0200

> On 8/4/07, Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > This contradicts your published guidelines which, by the way, we
> > > tried
> > > to follow to the letter. Check it out for yourself:
> > [...]
> >
> > Not sure where you see a contradiction. The text says you have to
> > ask for
> > permission for using Haiku trademarks, which you did, and we denied
> > it for
> > stated reasons.
>
> I think what Jorge's getting at here is that it seems there is no
> real
> compromise at this point - the guidelines were seemingly put there to
> satisfy the community and/or Haiku admin team at the time, but were
> apparently not meant to be acted upon. My feeling is that they
> essentially represent a roadblock - and the likelihood that anyone
> would be allowed to pass appears to be low. I would nearly suggest
> the
> entire "promotional cd" guidelines should be simply removed if you
> would like to avoid the same confusion and distress in the future.

My personal opinion:

I understand that you are frustrated as you certainly put in effort to
set all this up and provide all those details. You did the perfectly
right thing.

But to allege that we only put this rule in to later cancel efforts off
is not fair. The problem is not of what or how, the problem is the
when. As stated Haiku is simply pre-alpha. There has not been any
official release for a reason.

The guidelines were discussed for a long time and they are there to
stay for a long time too. The exception for demos was put in in the
prospect that there will be more or less stable images that can impress
people and then can also be bundeled with the official logos and
trademarks to promote a good system. Currently we are at a point were
the risk of giving a bad impression is still pretty high. Please
understand or at least accept this concern.

I think, and I will also vote for demo distributions when the time is
right.

Regards
Michael