[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "Andrew McCall" <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 23:54:56 +0100

Hi Folks,

On 04/08/07, Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi FalterCon Organizers
>
> We have received your request for permissions and held a vote with the
> following conclusion:
>
> 1. Using the Haiku logo on promotional material
>
> We see no problem in using the official Haiku name and logo on
> promotional material. But we request that you hand in a copy (document,
> photo, screenshot, ...) of the material so that we can review the exact
> usage. We bind ourselfs to review the material in a time frame of no
> longer than 8 hours to not hinder your effort too much.

Thats great news!  Good work everyone!

> 2. Making a CD that contains a Haiku VMWare image
>
> Several concerns were stated with regards to handing out CDs
> publically. Our stance is that Haiku is not yet ready for public
> consumption and should not proactivly be distributed. This is reflected
> by the pre-alpha state of the project and should generally be
> respected.
> Therefore we'd like to request that you do not create such a media and
> refrain from distributing CDs. Note that we cannot forbid the creation
> of such an image due to our license. But you would have to follow the
> distro guidelines accordingly and remove all trademarked names and
> logos. As an alternative you could point people to the official Haiku
> website so they can inform themselves and may download an image there.

Just to be clear - am I correct in assuming the organisers of
FalterCon are not permitted to distribute a "Haiku", vmware image, but
am I right in assuming they can distribute a FalterCon VMware image?

After all the project is open source, they just can't call whatever
they distribute Haiku.  They can call it a "Proof of Concept", and put
plenty of links on the desktop back to the original Haiku-OS.org
project site, again which isn't breaking any copyright laws.

--
Thanks,

Andrew McCall
andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx