[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 00:33:54 +0200

On 2007-08-05 at 00:00:55 [+0200], "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)"
<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Lotz wrote:
> > Hi FalterCon Organizers
> >
> > We have received your request for permissions and held a vote with the
> > following conclusion:
> >
> > 1. Using the Haiku logo on promotional material
> >
> > We see no problem in using the official Haiku name and logo on
> > promotional material. But we request that you hand in a copy (document,
> > photo, screenshot, ...) of the material so that we can review the exact
> > usage. We bind ourselfs to review the material in a time frame of no
> > longer than 8 hours to not hinder your effort too much.
> >

> Thanks for the reply. :)
>
> Due to time constraints, we may not able to do what we had in mind.
>
> But if we do use any of the Haiku artwork, we will then provide a
> screenshot for review.
>
> Who should we (specifically) address the request for review to? Please
> advise.

We're working on creating email addresses for official requests. Until they
are established, I suppose, Michael Lotz is the one to direct them to.

> > 2. Making a CD that contains a Haiku VMWare image
> >
> > Several concerns were stated with regards to handing out CDs
> > publically. Our stance is that Haiku is not yet ready for public
> > consumption and should not proactivly be distributed. This is reflected
> > by the pre-alpha state of the project and should generally be
> > respected.
> > Therefore we'd like to request that you do not create such a media and
> > refrain from distributing CDs. Note that we cannot forbid the creation
> > of such an image due to our license. But you would have to follow the
> > distro guidelines accordingly and remove all trademarked names and
> > logos. As an alternative you could point people to the official Haiku
> > website so they can inform themselves and may download an image there.
> >

> This contradicts your published guidelines which, by the way, we tried
> to follow to the letter. Check it out for yourself:
[...]

Not sure where you see a contradiction. The text says you have to ask for
permission for using Haiku trademarks, which you did, and we denied it for
stated reasons.

CU, Ingo