[openbeos] Re: FalterCon 2007 Permissions - Official Response

  • From: "Andrew McCall" <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:05:08 +0100

Hi Ryan,

On 05/08/07, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 8/5/07, Andrew McCall <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I think the questions that that needs asking RIGHT NOW isn't if things
> > like this should be allowed or not allowed.  It should be why is the
> > community so polarized on their opinions.  Get that sorted and you
> > won't need an admin team.
>
> The community is so polarized on this issue for one basic reason:
> developers don't want their partially-finished work shown to the
> public, whereas non-developers don't have this concern. For what it is
> worth, I totally understand the view of the developers (I am one after
> all, but my "sphere of influence" in Haiku isn't quite as big as Axel,
> Ingo, Stephan, etc.)

I totally understand, and I have to admit, I hadn't thought of it from
that point of view before.  Now that you put it to me in that way, I
have a slightly different feeling on the subject (and I remember some
of the code I had on my hard disk at one point and shudder!)

Now, before I say this, I am totally against all the developers
keeping their own branch until they are ready to commit a finished
master-piece. BUT another point of view could be taken that the
developers handed over their work to an open source project.

--
Thanks,

Andrew McCall
andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx