[openbeos] Re: FS question

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:22:46 +0100 (MET)

> That's on purpose.  Unix file systems are single linked,
> there's a link in the directory to each file it contains
> (a directory is basically a list of names and corresponding
> inode numbers to identify the files).  A Unix file doesn't
> know who its parents are, it merely has a link counter (and
> it self destructs when it goes to zero).  BFS does have a
> way of finding out the file name of a file, but I don't think
> it stores parent directory information for files (just
> directories, like Unix).  So, no find path for file inode call.

BFS stores a link to the parent of an inode in every inode, so it's
able to create the full path name out of an inode. It has only one
parent link, so that hard links aren't possible without changing the
inode structure.

Although this parent links comes in very handy for recovery, it was
introduced to be able to get the full path of an inode for the query
results.

Adios...
   Axel.