[openbeos] Re: FC07 - Permission to create promotional VMWare image distributed on CD

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:05:32 -0700

On 8/2/07, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Urias,
>
> > The target audience will be attendees at the Linux 16th Anniversary
> > Picnic in Sunnyvale, CA.
>
> Haiku has some problems yet, for example in the scheduler, which IMHO make
> it look bad, especially when it is supposed to be fast. The app_server
> still has drawing problems and is slow, the system can appear to lock up
> with an amok running thread. Are you sure this is what you want to hand out
> at the Linux Picnic? It might be the first impression of Haiku your victims
> are going to get.

Yes, I understand - but at this point, we don't believe we're
providing an experience any worse than an image that can be downloaded
from Haiku's website directly.

This is where the whole "distro permission" thing gets a bit fuzzy
still - if I want to distribute physical copies with so much as a
single extra file, I'm subjected to the guidelines.

On the other hand, if I compile an unmodified image and post it on a
website for everyone to download, I'm not subject to the guidelines?

I'm bringing this up because I really don't think there's a clear
definition of WHY the guidelines are as they are posted or discussed
anywhere.

> It is different to demo Haiku on one of your laptops, where you are there
> to explain things to people. As opposed to them trying it at home and being
> likely irritated.

I'd be surprised if people at a picnic are going to have enough
attention span to sit around and watch a demo of Haiku on someone's
laptop... sending them home with a CD gives them an opportunity to
experiment on their own. I'm only packaging a few extra apps that are
useful, but 3rd party.

Haiku works reasonably well in VMware - yes there are some drawing
issues (many of which are appear to be new, btw ;) and yes, the
scheduler isn't as good as it could be, and sure the networking is a
bit slow - but I highly doubt anyone's going to notice. This is not an
installable version of Haiku, so their experience will be limited to a
VM. We can verbally explain to people as we give them the CDs that
this is literally a "bleeding edge" version with known issues.

In any case, I was hoping this wouldn't come down to a "should we"
discussion, but remain as a "could we" discussion (specific to the
trademark usage).

> If you absolutely have to do it, either one of your proposed ways to
> display the disclaimer is fine by me, I prefer the desktop background.

Ok. I'll leave this open to further discussion in case others have a
different idea.

> To the list of applications, I'd add Pe, but make sure that it has
> preinstalled settings, otherwise it will take forever to load the first
> time. Make sure it doesn't display the Worksheet.

I *very* nearly suggested that in my list - but I wasn't sure what the
status of Pe in Haiku was yet (other than it compiles). Is there an
already-compiled version for Haiku I can grab from somewhere?

Andre:

Honestly, I'd rather not include any major changes to things like the
scheduler at this point - anything that might introduce new
hard-to-debug issues would be a disaster at the last second... Right
now the image I'm testing is r21785 - I'm going to update to a newer
rev tonight and see how things work. If any big destabilizing changes
land, we'll probably stick with one of the current revs that we know
to be pretty stable.