[openbeos] FC07 - Permission to create promotional VMWare image distributed on CD

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:01:41 -0700

So, I completely forgot to consult the distro guidelines recently as
I've been trying to pull together a bunch of things, and the
promotional image hasn't been getting as much attention as it should.

This is my request, per the distro guidelines, to obtain permission to
produce and distribute a promotional VMWare image of Haiku using the
unmodified trademark and logos.

Our timeline is short - the event we intend to hand these out for is
FC07 on August 11th - and we'll need to have the image content fairly
solid by midweek next week so that we can create some CDs in advance.
The target audience will be attendees at the Linux 16th Anniversary
Picnic in Sunnyvale, CA.

So far, the planned modifications are limited simply to additional applications:

BeShare 2.28
Vision 0.9.7
InfoPopper (will *not* loaded by default - only provided as a
demonstration of Vision's support for it within Haiku as a messaging
concept)
Opera 3.62 - permission to redistribute already obtained from Opera
Software along with registration code for pre-installation
vmw_tools from bebits (unzipped into a directory on the image and
available for use, but not actually installed as add-ons or started
automatically)

We are also considering some others such as:

Transmission
BeBounce demo
gcc 2.95.3-070218 from BeBits (we are targeting a Linux crowd after all!)
VLC - assuming recent versions still work - and only if working sound
becomes an option in VMware before next week

Obviously, we'd like to include some content as well. Possibly some
additional wallpapers (but not necessarily as the default background),
some images, possibly some media files (mp3, video, etc.) if we have
sound support by then. Perhaps also some misc. meaningless documents
to demonstrate query support.

This list may change over the course of the next week. For example, we
are still not sure Opera is a good fit - it does run pretty well, but
the network activity seems to be slower than preferred. It represents
the only viable (and legal) browser option in our opinion, so it is
the only one we are currently considering. I will post any updates we
decide to make.

If there are any concerns about the list above, please let me know.

One thing I'm not certain how to accomplish is this:

"they must show the following disclaimer in read-only form after every
boot-up, and CDs must additionally be labeled with that disclaimer:
"This promotional demo is based on unstable pre-release Haiku code,
and is intended for developers as a technology preview. This is not
the official Haiku distribution (to be released at
http://haiku-os.org).""

What is the expected method to show a read-only disclaimer? Shall it
be a wallpaper? an Alert dialog launched in the bootscript? Can we
just have StyledEdit launch with an RTF file that we put together
containing this disclaimer and some information about Haiku?

So, because this is the first time I've seen anyone officially
requesting permission publicly for a distro/promotional image, I'm not
sure what to do next.

Thanks,

Urias McCullough