[openbeos] Re: [FAQ] FAQ #1: CFS and Haiku's new scheduler comparison

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:45:04 +0200

Am 12.06.2007 um 22:13 schrieb André Braga:

+1 for Minix
+1 for Tanenbaum
+1 for microkernel

You DO realise however that Tanenbaum only implemented a very simple
and linear scheduling algorithm for Minix, right? :)

Shock - you mean the OS he wrote to teach people about OS development? Wouldn't be much of a teacher if he came up with stuff people were supposed to tinker with and possibly even improve.

He did however cite Waldspurger's paper. And while I ended up finding
it again independently, if I read the damn bib references I'd save
myself quite some time, too.

The difference is that Ingo Molnár is a *key* Linux developer for
quite some time and he's a RedHat employee; I'm just unemployed Joe
Nobody finishing college!

But that is very much the point: the less time you have the more important it is to think before you leap.

I don't go with the exponential increase in the number of monkeys and keyboards and hive mind arguments in favour of Linux and since we only have a limited supply of monkeys we can't anyway! But have a banana! ;-) Fabian Pascal might add that paid programmers aren't necessarily good programmers; actually he'd go a lot further. I can't really comment on systems programming but up here in web world the lunatics really have taken over the asylum.

BSD's is always worth looking at because you don't have to go into licence decontamination afterwards and you normally get a good explanation about why things are done the way the are: SMP & driver model implementation spring to mind. But OpenSolaris also has some very good stuff in it.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20