[haiku] Re: Drivers.List

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 17:05:58 +0200

On 2010-05-03 at 15:05:57 [+0200], Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Mattia Tristo <mattia.tristo@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > What about to make the installer generate a Drivers.List in /haiku/etc
> > with
> > the list of drivers to boot, the drivers have been detected at install
> > time
> > and an option in the boot manager to ignore that list and try all the
> > drivers amd another option to recreate the list. Do you think it is a good
> > idea?
>
> What would that accomplish? Haiku always tries all drivers anyways.

From what I understand, the hardware<->driver mapping mechanism is improved a
lot with the "new driver architecture". So unnecessarily asking a driver if
it supports a certain piece of hardware will not be a problem anymore once
many more drivers are ported over. In any case, we don't seem to have enough
drivers for this to be a problem at all at the moment.

Best regards,
-Stephan