[openbeos] Re: Does beos have gtk

  • From: Gabe Yoder <gyoder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:51:48 -0500

On Thursday 05 December 2002 01:54 am, you wrote:
> Gollum wrote:
> >I mean I love gtk. I would love to see a port of gtk on beos. Makes sense.
> >All the applicaion base of linux could hence be recompiled under open
> > beos.
> >
> >According to previous comments. I really think linux does feel a bit slow.
> >And I blame X for it. It's too heavy. It's got too many features that no
> > one uses. And no one in the linux community has the sense of making a new
> > gui server. They at times seem to be stuck with old meaningless
> > traditions. Otherwise I love linux. There is so much to play around with.
>
> I am also pretty sure that the extensive themability is another good
> reason why linux guis are slower than they should be

Okay, usually I ignore such discussions, however this time I will make an
exception since this seems to come up frequently.  I don't think speed of the
gui is a major issue.  Certainly, faster is nice, but many of us who like
linux (or even that other pc OS) don't really notice it as being slow.  I am
not surprised that people accustomed to a faster gui might find it painful,
but the problem isn't really in the speed, it's in the perception of the
speed.  For instance, I have multiple computers that I have acquired over the
years.  My best is a 1GHz Athlon.  I am used to the speed with which it
responds, but sometimes I use my older machine which is a K6-2 450MHz.  When
I use the older machine, it feels slow, but it didn't feel slow when I bought
it (to replace a p166).  My point in this whole rambling mess is that fast
gui is nice, but it doesn't make or break the OS.
BTW, if you want to see slow, try running the BeOS VESA driver at 1600x1200.
Yes, I am a little off my rocker, but aren't all good programmers that way?